Friday, April 26, 2024

The Beloved Disciple

 My faith in the resurrection is not based upon the preaching of the Apostles.  They were eye witnesses of the Risen Jesus, so they say.  I am not an eye witness.  My faith is like John, called “The Beloved Disciple.”  When he and Peter ran to the tomb in Mathew’s Gospel, Chapter 28, Peter went into the tomb.  It was empty.  Peter was clueless.  But John went in right behind Peter, and when he saw the empty tomb, he believed, though he did not understand.  This is my faith.  I believe, though I did not see the Risen Jesus.  I am spending my life in understanding.  A lot of faith is based upon belief without understanding.  Ask any alcoholic who has just embarked on a Recovery Program.  They believe sobriety is possible though they understand nothing at the moment.  They spend a life in sobriety coming to understanding day by day.  

1 comment: