Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Opinion?

When someone tells me how they think that a conversation or a scenario is going to play out with someone, and I think that might be off base, I can be useless to them by saying:
"That is stupid, the way you think."
"You don't know what you are talking about."
"Man, it is not going to be that way. You are way off base."
"Are you crazy?"

Now all of these responses on my part will simply close the person off from anything I might be trying to say. I am sounding judgmental, opinionated, and superior. What I might do is say, "Would you like my opinion?" If they say no, then that is the end of it from my side. Say no more. More often though, people will respond positively to my asking ever so gently, "Would you like my opinion?" Try it sometime.

1 comment: