Thursday, March 22, 2012

St. Joseph

Joseph, the husband of Mary, the parents of Jesus, impresses me. When he found out that Mary was pregnant, and it was not by him, he did not go berserk or viral. He did not get all angry. He decided to be kind rather than vengeful. He was going to divorce Mary quietly, so she would avoid being stoned to death or shamed by the townies. Joseph's rather calm manner opened him to hear more. God got word to Joseph that there is more to the story and things will be OK.

What happens when you find out that your plans have gotten all messed up? Do you jump to conclusions filled with rage, self-pity, wanting someone to be punished for your misery? When I get angry I am not open to hearing anything else. I am closed off. God cannot get to me. Anger isolates. Kindness opens us. Not all bad news is bad news. Wait a little. You might be in for a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment