Monday, October 14, 2013

Hurting the Church

Someone commented that my blog was hurting the church and everyone's faith who read it.  Two thoughts on this.  The church is not the hierarchy, but the people of God that includes the hierarchy.  I tend to write for that part of the church that feels left out of the mix by the hierarchy part.  We all agree on dogma or else we are not really in the church.  But there is a lot that is "taught" that is not dogma, but rather opinion of some clergy and people that think it is dogma because they hang around with those who agree with them.  This brings me to my second point.  People who are offended by "teachings" contrary to their own, tend to hang around with people like them, to read all the same books, and feel safe and secure.  Religion is not for security or else there would be no cross.  I try to spend some time with people who disagree with me.  It is how I learn and maybe even open myself to a wider world than my own in my religion.  If people would just read some good history of religion, The Catholic Church history, they would see how much we have changed over the years and how much debate/discussion there is between clergy and hierarchy on various issues that are no way etched in stone.  Sadly, you won't get that kind of adult ed in most parishes.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fr. Terry for all that you post...always thought provoking and challenging! Don't let the naysayers stop you from reminding us of God's love for us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Bella -- without Fr, Terry there would be very little "Catholic sanity" in my part of the world and I probably would have just walked out the door by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A faith that is "hurt" by hearing a viewpoint that differs from one's own is a very weak faith, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure these "someones" are the same people who objected to the changes to the Mass being celebrated in English and who objected to girls/women serving as alter servers. And....to the Nuns not wearing habits. Fr. Terry...thanks and keep challenging us to think about our belief structure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have always challenged us and provided great dinner talks among our family. My mom always agrees with you and so does dad most of the time! My sisters still remember your Easter talk from a few years back. Thanks Father

    ReplyDelete