Thursday, January 4, 2018

Virginity

A lot of people think of virginity as having to do solely with physical sex.  A person generally knows when they gave up their virginity, as we say.  But virginity has a much wider and ongoing meaning than physical sex.  It refers to the deeper meaning of spiritual growth.  People on such a path, are trying to keep from falling into or embracing evil, bad behavior, acting out any series of character defects such that it changes us for the worse.  You might think of it as soul virginity, that can be lost but then regained.  Lost by bad behavior and regained by trudging that road of daily spiritual practices.  Each morning, when I wake up, I am a spiritual virgin.  How will I live this day?  Do I have a plan?  If no plan, I will fall before the day is over.  If I do no spiritual practice, including being of some service to others, I might not do anything outrageous this day, but I will be on the way to the outrageous.  There is something cunning about bad behavior and loss of spiritual virginity that day.  You do not always see it coming.  Then suddenly it is upon you.  "What was I thinking?" You might say later.  "Why did I do that?" Or, "I know better."  If you don't make a plan for the spiritual path this day, your shortcomings certainly will.  I have found it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment