Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Love Is Our Job

Jesus said, “Love one another.”  He did not say, “Change one another.”  Changing people is not any one person’s job.  But loving others is our job.  I get caught up at times in thinking that if I love you, or am nice and helpful, and kind, you will change and become “better,” that is, more like I think you should be.  But I cannot change anyone.  I can only love and the hardest people to love are often the most damaged.  The damage may be such that there will be no happy ending for them.  Many people feel that they are unlovable.  They get told that if they change, fit in better, they will then get love.  Love is not a reward.  It is a job.  I try to show up to this job on a daily basis.  I do take some time off, but that is to get recharged, and love myself in stillness and solitude.  You cannot give what you do not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment