Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Living Amends

It is one thing to say “I am sorry,” for some past behavior.  It is a good thing to do when we find ourselves in the wrong.  But there is more to an amends than a one time, “I am sorry.”  It is called a Living Amends.  This means that we change our life.  We stop the behavior for which we needed to apologize.  Otherwise, we develop a bad habit and continue to hurt people.  As a priest, I have people come to confession and say what they did and that they are sorry.  Nice apology to their God.  Then they go out and do the same stuff all over again.  Bad habits are not broken by apologizes.  Often, the apology is simply to make yourself feel better.  One’s life begins to change for the better when they begin to have compassion for the people they hurt.  This is because they are beginning to connect and bond with other people.  Before, it was all about themselves, a selfish focus.  I have an obligation to others, that after an apology, I have to act in a more loving and caring manner toward them.  That is the hard part.  I wish growing up were easier, but it is not.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Father Ryan,
    Thank you for your words. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to be able to make living amends. I did not know that you could die from alcohol withdrawal but almost did. To have the gift of a second chance at life, to be able to live without alcohol and with hope is tremendous. I am thankful each day to be able to show my family and friends that I no longer live the way I did. The gift of recovery and a spirituality is one that I cherish. I am so lucky for the precious gifts that living amends bring. And I am grateful to you for your blog. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete