Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Give To Get

A wise saying: “You can’t get it unless you give it away.”  I think of this in all areas of my life.  How do I know what I believe in religion or politics/economics or spiritual paths unless I first try to explain it to someone.  I learn by teaching.  Often, I am surprised at what comes out of my mouth and mind when I am teaching about prayer.  I make connections that I did not even know I had.  I get enlightened by expelaining myself.  You say you believe something about God.  Well, try explaining it or tell someone what you think you believe.  And if you say, you cannot explain it, then I suspect you don’t really have it in the first place.  Maybe that is why religions and 12 step programs emphasize evangelization, or sharing what you say you have.  One of the best ways to find out how shallow we are is to try and talk about what we say we believe.  The more I read outside my comfort zone, the more I find out how little I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment