Thursday, January 29, 2009

1 Samuel 3 and 1 Corinthians 6



I was musing on 1 Samuel, chapter 3. No one is too small, too young or too uneducated in religion for God. Samuel is just a boy and does not even know about God. Yet God is calling to him. God invites. Age, size and knowledge does not hold God back. If you feel insignificant, or your body is shrinking, out of shape, and your education is limited, the world may have little interest in you, and place little value in you. God is the opposite. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6 that our bodies are members of Christ. It does not have to be a big body, a fit body, or a smart body. All bodies are just right for God's indwelling. Paul says we are temples of the Holy Spirit. I like all this. At times I judge myself by worldly standards, by media images. I am aging. I am forgetting. I am shrinking. I have less energy. I am slower. If I listen to the world, I am a good candidate for unemployment. When I think no one else wants me, God still cares and values me. Like Samuel, I say to the Lord, "Speak, your servant is listening."

No comments:

Post a Comment