Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sometimes I am like the child who is told repeatedly to clean their room, but just ignores or postpones the task. Then when they actually do clean the room, they expect some special favor for their simply doing what they are supposed to do as a member of the family. There are things I am supposed to do as a priest, part of my job, that I put off. Then when I actually do my obligation, I think that I should get some special favor from God or someone else, as a reward.
I like the phrase from Luke 17: 10, "We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do." Cleaning your room does not make money for anyone. It is unprofitable from that perspective. But it is an obligation in many a family. We belong to the family of God. We are children of God from or baptism. Being children of God carries some obligations. Fulfilling the will of God is a reward in itself. No?

No comments:

Post a Comment