Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Battle

When the Consistory of Cardinals goes into the Sistine Chapel to pick a new pope, there will be two sides in the discussion.  On one side is the Holy Spirit who is in charge of directing the church leaders.  On the other side is the human ego grown strong in the psyches of powerful men, the Cardinals of the Church.  The temptation of the ego is to want someone in the office of the pope that allows the Cardinal to go on doing whatever he does without having to change.  In other words, it is OK not to be picked as the next pope, as long as whoever gets the job does not mess with my power base.  Some people are hopeful that there will be no change in the direction begun by John Paul II and continued with Benedict XVI.  Some want a radical shift.  I am betting on the Holy Spirit.  It is OK if I don't get my way, as long as the Holy Spirit gets the Spirit's way.

1 comment:

  1. How do we know who got their way - the holy spirit or Cardinal's egos? And, in my daily battle, how do I know if I'm following the holy spirit or MY ego? How does one know?

    ReplyDelete