Tuesday, December 23, 2008

First Sunday in Advent


MARK 13: 33-37

I have become what I said I would never be: a text message person. It has replaced the greeting card that says, “Just thinking of you.” Now I don’t go into the card shop, find a card, go home, write a note, look up the address, put on a stamp, and place in the mail. Now, all I do is take out my cell phone, look up the name of the person in my cell phone address list, type in a short note on the touch screen of my cell phone, and hit the send button. Instantly, my friend gets a note, called a text message. Sometimes, I send unkind messages, such as when I know they are in their office and I am standing by the ocean shore on a nice day. I say, “I am at the ocean, enjoying the sea. Jealous?”

But most of the time, I am nicer. Yet, I don’t always care to receive a text message. When the message comes to my cell phone, the phone beeps or rings if it is on. It is usually turned on. I am usually in the midst of something I want to do and the message disturbs my focus. I say, “Who is bothering me now?” Text messages seem to invite instant attention.

I think that God will come to me like a text message. God will come when I am busy with my own agenda. If it be the end of the world, or my own personal end, I am afraid that my first response might be, “Don’t bother me now. I am busy!” This won’t bode well for afterlife happiness. I compare this response with a teenager who has fallen in love, or admires someone special to them. They might send a text message, and wait, eagerly for a response. When their cell phone rings, they instantly drop everything and look at the message with great hope. They are in love.

If I were more in love with God, and less in love with my own self-centered plans, I suspect that a sudden God-coming into my life would be met with great hope and joy. Advent is such an embarrassing time. It says, “Be alert!” Well, thank God for this season to check out my priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment