Thursday, December 18, 2008

Getting to Know Me


Once upon a time I was a kid in the Bronx. I used to like all things Catholic, but especially sitting quietly in Church when no one was around. I did not say much and God did not seem to say much, but I knew I was not alone. I moved to the suburbs, White Plains, went to high school there and then returned to the Bronx for Fordham College. I never lost that sense of ease whenever I was alone in church. I went into corporate business, partying, travel, living in various locations, Chicago, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, but nothing seemed to make me feel so comfortable in my own skin as this being alone somewhere in the silence. I never left alone in those times.

I have been a Paulist priest now for over 30 years. I have discovered that this sitting is called Contemplative Prayer. All the good works I have done, the preaching, teaching, helping others, presiding at sacraments and other public events, have gone well to the extent that I take time away, with me and God, as I have come to know God.


So now I teach about this Contemplation. I give missions, workshops and retreats. I hope that I have some "stuff" to say that will help a searching person. I continue to learn. I continue to be surprised. I am not really in control of this relationship. I do try to show up each day to the meeting with God. I don't always feel the Presence, but I know that I am in the right place, and am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment