Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The New Translation

I just finished reading a spin on how wonderful the new prayer translations are. I don't necessarily understand the prayers, but at least I know why they are written the way they are written. My question is: "How does all this help evangelization or renewal? Will it keep teens in the church?"

I don't get the sense that this is a focus of the translation changes. It has the feel that some people in the hierarchy have given up on renewing those on the edges, and decided to make the prayers agreeable to a certain nostalgic group. It may not be a church for everyone, but it sure will be a church for the few. If it were not for the Latinos coming into the country, we would be aware of a big drop off of English mass attendance. The few will celebrate. The many will scratch their heads if they show up at all.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Father. I have been wondering why the church would spend all this time and energy to make the Mass less accessible. I don't think that Jesus needs all these fancy prayers from us. I would rather have simpler prayers. After all, Jesus' words to us are simple and direct. I like that better.

    ReplyDelete