Monday, July 22, 2013

My Sister Maureen

Today is my sister Maureen's birthday, or would be, if she were here instead of in purgatory.  She died nine years ago.  She was my big sister, in charge of my life.  I used to remind her that her birthday was the Feast of Mary Magdelene, a notorious sinner.  Maureen would correct me, as she usually did.  She reminded me that "Saint" goes before the Mary in Mary Magdelene.  Maureen would say, "Mary was bad, but she got good.  When are you going to get good too, little brother?"  Maureen always had the last word.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, the last word. Why do we feel so compelled to have it? The art of listening in silence is so underrated. Maureen's wisdom grew as she learned to become a good listener. Maybe she learned that having the last word sometimes meant they were mean words that silenced us. That doesn't work well over the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Maureen! I hope you were given credit by the Paulist Seminary transcript office when Fr. Terry told your stories as he remembered them.
    The love between you two has cast a sweet light over the years and is still right here today.
    Thank you, once again, Fr. Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Mom so much. Now that I have my Meg (Margaret Maureen, after Mom) and Drew. I laugh often when I see her out smart him. It reminds me of the clever tricks my mom would have RARELY played on you. :D

    ReplyDelete