Friday, July 26, 2013

Second Opinion Friends

Maureen said to me, "You are whining."
I said, "NO I am not.  I am just giving an opinion with lots of emotion."
Maureen said, "Well, here's a second opinon.  You are whining."
We all need second opinion friends, fellow travellers on our spiritual journey to wholeness.  These are people who know us well, but still care about us enough to tell us the truth.  Too often, our opinions are filled with our "stuff" so that we don't really see the reality before us or within us for that matter.  Jesus was a second opinion for Mary Magdelene.  She thought he was dead and his body stolen from the grave.  She thought he was the gardener when he spoke with her.  Grief colored her ability to see.  So who is the second opinion person in your life?

2 comments:

  1. Well Father, a few years ago, we attended a mass in Longmont, Colorado. The homily began with "My sister was a witch!" I remember the wonderful chuckling that rippled through the church as you spoke of red sneakers and Christmas at the Ryan's. It was a classic; my family still mentions it. But what you didn't know is that our family has been including Maureen in our daily prayers ever since and we are certain that she has moved from purgatory to paradise. Thought you'd like to know....Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are my second opinion...thank you for always being in the background of my life, reminding me of what is really of value in this world. The truth shall set you free...

    ReplyDelete