Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Praying With Self-Interest

Ranchers know how to pray.  I was out haying a big field.  The sky did not look so good.  I prayed: "God it is fine for you to come down here, but don't bring any rain with you.  I got to get this hay baled.  Don't pay any attention to those people who are environmentalists or live in forests and want rain.  Tomorrow is fine for them.  I need no rain today."  I would bless myself, and then ask Mary to talk to her Son.  I prayed that the baling maching would hold up and not lose any bales, cause I had no time to fix stuff.  Direct prayers.  Trouble is, those prayers are all about me and what I want. Hay pays our bills.  I was not much interested in how my prayers would conflict with someone else's want or need. Anyway, we finished 436 bales.  No rain.  In the middle of the night, it began to pour.  It has rained all day.  I guess God pays attention to all kinds of prayers.  But God did cut it close.  Who says praying to Mary is silly?

1 comment:

  1. I begin each day with a prayer of gratitude; for yesterdays work, for the hay in the barn and for all I take for granted. We all have something to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete