Saturday, April 26, 2014

"I'm Forgiven"

I was having one of my whinny days, the day after Easter, when I am supposed to be all pumped up with resurrection.  Not!  So I was not a worthless priest, but I could see "worthless" down the road.  Fortunately, grace intervened.  Grace as in gift.  I got a call to go to the psych ward of the hospital.  More whine, the darkness just before the light.  At the psych ward, I met a woman who wanted to be forgiven for her past.  Over and over she asked if she was forgiven, as we prayed and I assured her.  Even though I went into the ward in dullsville, something happens to me when I try and be helpful.  I seem to rise to the occasion.  I forgot about being whinny.  Finally, as I was about to leave, the light went on for the woman.  For the first time in a long time, she felt forgiven.  She began to weep with joy.  To be a part of this can make my day.  The lesson for me:  reach out, be helpful to another and it can change your day.  It did mine.  But when I texted a would be friend about having a wonderful experience in a psych ward, she responded, "Did you check in?"  But I was too happy to hate her.

2 comments:

  1. we can find joy in the oddest places if we are open to it. Great post, Terry !
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Terry This is what the church is here for. Forgiveness when we need it that is handled by a man of God. God bless you. We have been blessed because we know you and your words.

    ReplyDelete