Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Shower

When I was in high school and college sports we had open showers.  We all showered together, naked around one another.  We dressed and undressed in front of one another.  I never thought twice about it.  When I went into the seminary, it was way different.  Showers had stalls.  I got the sense that guys simply did not stand naked around one another.  What was that about?  I was clueless, but bemused back then.  Why are people who are supposed to be following Christ, so afraid to be naked in front of another man?  Was not Jesus naked on the cross for all the world to see?  Christians covered him up in the art work.  Maybe that is where the shower stall thing started.  I am suspect of a priest who talks about sex, but is afraid to be naked in front of anyone.  But I sure wish I could get buffed and sculpted.  The gym has failed me.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps we fear the judgment of others, when we are stripped of our outward trappings of appearance. Do not we all have some desire to appear somewhat "better" than we feel inside?
    Self acceptance, as God's children, with all of our imperfections and blemishes, is an elusive condition.
    I once had a counselor say that self-esteem is a fixed quality, but I find that it fluctuates with the state of my spiritual condition, which varies with circumstances and my daily maintenance routines.
    You are in pretty good shape, on the high end of the bell curve, and certainly put a lot of effort into your workouts.
    Maybe a trainer could help you change up your routines?
    We always seem to want just a little more, don't we?
    You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete