Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mutterings

Seems that some of the Vatican Curia are muttering about the changes in style and values of Francis I.  They miss privilege and comforts.  Be not surprised at this.  You cannot be focused on power and status, while also becoming holy.  They are contradictory.  Unfortunately, many lay persons expect their ordained to be better than the laity, more holy and spiritual whatever that might be.  Why?  Do you think the laying on of hands at ordination is some kind of magic.  I think of cardinals as bureaucratic administrators rather than as holy men.  My bar is not high for them, and I do not get cynical about it.  I do not look for saints in the Vatican.

2 comments:

  1. In the case of JohnPaul II, I think you are exactly right. He did not become a saint for his life INSIDE the Vatican, rather he became a saint for his life OUTSIDE the Vatican. INSIDE he messed up big time in his dealing with the Legionnaires founder, his failure to take charge of the bureaucracy, and his failure to protect children. So I take his sainthood as a sign of hope for sinners like me--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've been blessed to know a few holy men in my life; perhaps they fooled us all; a priest or two; a buddha zen friend. But I do believe that there is a path, a way of transformation and enlightenment thru forgiveness and humility; denial of self and the ego. Isn't this the main teaching of Christ, The Good Sheperd?
    I think this is what He has revealed to us. He called us to His flock, no? It certainly is what you have taught me Fr.Terry and why I am such a big fan of yours!

    ReplyDelete