Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Day At A Time

I met an alcoholic once who said that he might drink again someday, but it won't be today.  This has stuck with me.  The alcoholic was in a recovery program that gives him things to do today so as to stay sober today.  These efforts have little shelf life.  Tomorrow, the alcoholic will have to do some or all of the same things to stay sober tomorrow.  But this fellow was not thinking about tomorrow.  Today was the focus.  I think it is a good way for me to live.  I cannot drive safely today, with seat belt on, car maintained, so as to not have an accident tomorrow.  I drive safely today for today.  I may give up running someday, but not today.  Now some people take dope, just for today, to feel good or better than without dope.  That is doing something unhealthy on a daily basis, just like my friend who used to drink on a daily basis to gain some effect.  I guess the effect wore off, or turned on him before he died.  Apparently the buzz has little shelf life too and tomorrow you have to start all over again to maintain your insanity.  And people say I am crazy for running at my age.  Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment