Saturday, September 23, 2017

Model Behavior

If you hope people will act a certain way, then model that behavior in your own life.  Scolding, shaming, guilt-tripping, or laying down a rule changes no one including yourself.  A long time ago, when I first began to teach about prayer, I did not want to have an entrance fee or pay at the door manner.  I wanted to practice generosity with my spiritual teaching.  People should not have to pay to come listen to me.  I simply had free-will offerings unless the venue chose to charge.  That was their business.  Now and again I would worry about how I will pay my bills.  But rather than fret about it, I figured if this is God's work, then I will survive.  If not, well then I will end up living and doing something else more in the traditional parish priest ministry.  After a recent talk, I picked up the donations from the free will basket.  In there was an envelope with a note.  The donor, who is by no means wealthy, said that she had been given money by a relative, and she wanted to pass it on to God through me.  The check was quite a significant amount.  This woman was very generous, and it came when I am in a bit of an income deficit.  Be generous and generosity comes your way.  I have found it so.  I may yet pay off my car before the end of the calendar year which was my deal with the Paulists who financed the purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment