Thursday, September 21, 2017

Simon of Cyrene

In the Christian Gospel there is this fellow, Simon of Cyrene, who is minding his own business.  But he is in the wrong place or right place, depending on his spiritual condition.  The soldiers grab him off the street to carry the heavy cross beam to which the condemned man, Jesus of Nazareth, will be nailed in horrible crucifixion.  Does Simon whine or grumble about his bad luck?  Or does he see this as a chance to help someone, even a man condemned by the state for capital punishment?  What would be your response if you were Simon?  Well, here is my spiritual journey at this point.  I might feel resentment because I have no time for this.  I would feel self-pity, "Why me?" and fear of what the authorities could do to me in if I refused to help.  The journey for me is not just from the street to calvary, the sight of crucifixion, but from the above self-focused attitude, to being ready to carry the burden of someone else, even someone condemned by the courts, seen as criminals.  Some people have the God presence in them in a hidden way, or as Christians would say, "Christ is hidden in them."  So I want to become a person who does not judge others, but rather someone who is ready to help carry another's cross, to be with them in their suffering.  I cannot take away suffering directly, but maybe by my presence and attempt at love, I can slightly lift their burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment