Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Change

I am here in Boulder again for the Christmas season. I am the only priest among three Boulder parishes. The others all left town. Last year it was the same scenario. I like to spend Christmas in Boulder, but why not think about a change of venue for this time of year? What stands in the way?

Routine. This is what has happened. I have several reasons for wanting to be here, but the one that seems to hold a lot of pull is routine. I think that routine is the enemy of change. To do something different is to do something new, without knowing how the "new" will work out. Routine seems to have the pull of a "guarantee" to it. I know how things will work out. That is why I call it a routine.

So just to make sure that routine does not rule my life too much, I think that I will be someplace else come next Christmas. But one never knows.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, I hope you can change your routine a bit without skipping Boulder! You are a real Christmas gift to many of us, and we look forward every year to your being here and talking to us. We would really miss you very much. we think of your visit as "tradition," not routine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go to you nice sister's home for Christmas. Get warm, go to the beach, watch Oscar movies, have a change in venue. Christ is in LA too.

    ReplyDelete