Monday, January 23, 2012

Exercise

Many of us take ourselves to a gym or exercise club several times a week, or we walk or bike as our routine of exercise. We sometimes plan our day around this activity to stay fit. When we die, we won't be taking this body with us. What carries on? Our out of shape soul goes on. So why not exercise the soul, our spiritual innards, each day?

Prayer is the act of taking our soul to the gym or exercise club. There are no dues or fees, no membership to keep up. It is simply a commitment to ourselves to care for that part of us that is, well, the real us! This morning I could have gone off to the club to exercise my flesh. I would feel good all over, for a while. But I decided to put it off and exercise my soul, in prayer, right here in my room. I feel good all over, and I think it will have a more lasting effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment