Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Memorial

Toward the end of the last calendar year, I read about a memorial for all the animals that had passed away that year. The thought came to me that here was a memorial to beings that are not human. It was a memorial without controversy. Now, many people think that fetuses are not human. Though I disagree, for the sake of argument, if you think a fetus a not a human being, like a dog is not a human being, why not have a memorial for all the fetuses that passed away this past year?

I don't think that memorial would go over without a lot of comment. Why is it that some people have no problem memorializing dead animals, but would be uptight about doing the same thing for dead fetuses? Maybe a dead fetus would bother them more than they would like to admit. Or was the fetus an inconvenience, whereas the animal was a comfort, a friend, a companion? I don't know the answer to this.

I do know that when there is a big rally, or march for the protection of the fetus, which to the marchers is a true human being, it does not get very much coverage in the media. Well, the animal memorial got very good coverage in the media. The poor fetus, even if you don't think it is human, gets ignored. I am thankful for those people who memorialize a dead fetus each year. Someone has to stick up for the little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment