Sunday, November 22, 2015

Hard Core

I like to fancy myself as a liberal Catholic, even a bit of a maverick.  That is, until I lose something.  Then I realize that I am a hard core Catholic.  Recently, I was out for a jog on the ocean cliffs North of San Francisco, California.  I took off my prescription sun glasses as I was running into a cave of trees.  It was dark in there and I did not want to trip over a tree root.  When I came out the other side into the sun, I put my glasses on but the vision seemed to be blurry.  I ran for a while anyway, my blood cells all being in my legs and none in my brain.  Finally, I took off my sun glasses, prescription of course, and found that a lens was in fact missing.  It had fallen out somewhere.  After shouting out a bad word or two, I started to retrace my steps.  As I walked along, I prayed to Mary, my Guardian Angel and St. Jude and St. Anthony.  Jude is for lost causes, which seems to be me, and Anthony for lost things.  Oh, and I included God in my prayer.  As I walked, I said "Hail Mary's."  I found my lens.  I said "Thank you," to my list of heavenly helpers. November is the Feast of All Saints Month and All Souls.  I had included my deceased parents and even my deceased sister Maureen in my prayers for help.  Maybe she nudged  St. Anthony to help me.  If so, Maureen would be in heaven now.  Miracles never cease!

No comments:

Post a Comment