Monday, November 2, 2015

Other Foot

Well, the shoe is on the other foot now that this bishop synod is done.  In the past when I opened my big mouth and said something outrageous to conservatives, such as being open to gays and lesbians, I would hear that I should leave the church for not following the bishops.  Now that the synod is more open to ministering to gays and lesbians, these same people say that the don't care what the bishops say.  These conservatives won't change their negative opinions.  Why is it that I have to follow the bishops but they don't?  Maybe prejudice hides behind whatever agrees with it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi father, I have bee enjoying your blog, thank you for sharing your wisdom! But I don't understand this last post Father? I would appreciate it if you could help me understand? Now that the synod is over what exactly is the, "more open to ministering to gays and lesbian". I've always been under the impression that the church has been open to ministering to gays and lesbian, is this incorrect? All my life I have known and seen gays in the Catholic church, and never seen one be forbidden to enter a church or been refused ministries. I've never seen it personally (doesn't mean it don't happen), just in my experience gays have always been welcome. Now, I do understand the Church forbids people from receiving the Holy Eucharist in a state of mortal sin, but that goes for everyone, gay or not (did the synod change that?).
    So I don't understand how the synod made the church more open to ministering to gays and lesbian, hows is this? Can you please explain to me?
    I hope by asking you these questions that that doesn't make me one of these "negative" or "prejudice" conservatives. I only perceive I am missing/not understanding something here; perhaps you can help me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is more of an effort to avoid negative terms, perforative terms when referring to gays and lesbians.

    ReplyDelete