Saturday, August 31, 2019

Stubborness

One the hardest faults, bad habits, to recognize is stubbornness.  Many of us can admit at times that we are selfish and self-centered, but rarely have I heard anyone say that they were stubborn.  It is not the same thing as being focused on a good cause, being indefatigable.  If you inconvenience some people it might be because they are selfish and do not care to be of service in this good cause.  But stubborn people want what they want, when they want it, though it is unnecessary and not serving any good but their own wants, and they inconvenience other people in getting what they want, or doing it "their" way.  What makes it tougher for the stubborn person to recognize this in themselves is they are often good people in many other ways.  They can be helpful, kind, giving, so long as it is done their way and you don't interfere.  I have seen monks and priests who are stubborn.  I have to be careful of this myself since I try to be both priest and monk.  If you suggest to someone that they might be stubborn the answer you often get is: " I don't want to talk about it," or "This is the way I do it," or, "It does not bother other people."  Did you marry a stubborn person?  Free pass to heaven...but don't whine.

No comments:

Post a Comment