Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Isolation

People began isolating long before they went shopping for their toilet paper and other sundries.  The self-isolating of social distancing at home is only the latest manifestation.  In the store, a person sees three packs of toilet paper.  They do not think, “I will take one pack, so that there will be two more for two other households.”  No, they think of themselves separate from others.  This virus may be a long siege.  They do not want to run out, as if this country did not make toilet paper.  So they take all three packs.  This is social isolation.  When we talk about rampant individualism we see it manifested in grocery stores.  Fear fuels some of this.  And if I am not thinking of anyone else then why would I believe or operate as if anyone is thinking about me?  Religious belief operates in the grocery store but many of us prefer it to be a dogma or set of worship rules, so that we can go about getting all we can get.  I would rather a thoughtful atheist.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Father Ryan. :) Your blog helps me feel less isolated and reminds me that normal behavior, such as only taking what you normally would, letting someone ahead of you in a long line (it may not make much of a difference in time, but in the heart), manners & smiles are even more important than before. Many thanks for all that you do! :)

    ReplyDelete