Wednesday, March 4, 2020

The Sleep Of Death`

I pray to my Mom.  She is dead.  But not so dead that she does not watch for me and be concerned for me.  I am a simple soul and I like the wisdom saying, “I sleep, but my heart watches.”  When I get into one of my “poor me” moods, I think, God does not care.  God is sleeping.  So what, says the wisdom saying.  God is still on watch for me.  A loving parent might go to bed and sleep while their teen daughter is out on a date or with friends.  But the parent still watches and awakes when the child comes home.  Shepherds sleep but still keep watch over the sheep.  The Bible calls God a Shepherd.  That’s how shepherds are, sleeping but watching.  Death is often called a sleep in spiritual circles.  This is why loved ones, “sleep, but their heart watches.”  Hi, Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of my youth during WWII---My brother and I were allowed to stay out at night as long as we wanted to as long as we got up the next morning to milk the cows. But we never could sneak in because my mother was always awake praying the rosary. She had a son and two stepsons overseas--she watched but never really slept.

    ReplyDelete