Monday, June 26, 2023

Insulation

 Is a retreat setting a way of insulation from the post-modern world?  If so, then the retreat fails you.  Insulation can easily support isolation.  Rather a retreat setting is to work on the unitive self, not the ego self.  The unitive self, heart-centered, supported by prayer, silence, reflection, can send one back into the world to be a prophetic voice, life-style, counter sign to the fear-filled frenzy of activity, noise, vacuous consumerism, and various levels of anxiety.  For three years the monastery insulated from Covid, until it didn’t.  But it cannot become an escape from a unitive way among the ordinary life of the post-modern world.  Unitive does not mean everyone notices me, but maybe that they ignore me as long as I don’t ignore anyone.  I don’t fix people.  I am a presence, by first becoming a presence to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment