Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Reward

 When I cook for the monks, can I do it without a desire for a reward, such as a thank you, compliment, or even the meal being tasty?  I think that the contemplative life, if it is sync with the rest of me, tells me to act without a desire for a reward.  Just do it.  Cook because we eat, we get hungry, no one else made available to cook.  Why do I meditate?  For a reward, a good feeling, sense of being special?  No.  I meditate, at least I hope, simply because that is what I do.  My soul/heart hungers for more or less than words and feelings.  God is often absent as “reward” but is still present and feeding me with this unbeknownst presence.  So I pray to pray and cook to cook.  No expectations, except to have responded to the needs of the day.  

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy saying thank you, for whatever it may be...help with the dishes, if someone else cooked, or for God joining me in another day I was graced with to be alive and the opportunity to meditate and pray. It's an opening to express gratitude, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete