Monday, July 9, 2012

Blogging

For me, a blog is like having a conversation in a living room where people can join in or not.  It is a place to muse, think out loud, pose a point of view, and let people respond with their own thoughts.  It is a place where everyone might learn something.  One of the things we learn is how to explain our position.  How did we get to this conclusion you might say.  No one is forced to read a blog.  It can be ignored.  For that matter if someone is giving a talk about a topic, you are free to go or not.  But if you go leave your expectations behind.  The speaker might say, "This is what I think."  It is the speaker's opinion.  Why should you get upset because you don't agree.  You could have stayed home.  I consider the mass and pulpit to be a whole different place.  People are not free to go or not go.  They are going to mass at that scheduled time and expect "The Mass" with an orthodox homily, and that is their right.  I never preach my musings in the pulpit.  It is a place for the gospel and the teachings/life and meaning of Jesus.  My personal opinions, politically or otherwise have no place there.  I had better be correct in the pulpit.  In my blog, I can be wrong.  It is OK.  I might learn something.  Don't you ever think out loud?

4 comments:

  1. Fr. Terry,
    yes please keep posting. I find your blog very insightful and thought provoking and I read it almost every day. I wanted to tell you in person after Mass, but whatever, we are always in a hurry with the kids or something.
    Thanks.
    Davide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Terry,
    I read your blogs almost every day too. I appreciate your opinions. You are well read and thinking,socially conscious, and have faith. That is what religion is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the above comments. Keep musing. We keep learning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course there is nothing wrong with thinking aloud. But, there's a difference between discussing controversial issues and advocating for things like contraception, which you seemed to be doing in a previous post. The thing is, you're a priest at all times; not just when you are at the pulpit. Since the blog does say "Fr. Terry Ryan", then don't be surprised when people respond negatively to posts that contradict the Church.

    ReplyDelete