Friday, July 20, 2012

Consistency

My running coach speaks about being consistent in my training.  Do something each day.   Don't judge how you are doing by your feelings.  On any one day or several days you may feel that you are getting no better.  You feel no improvement.  "Phooey on feelings," I say.  In time, you will notice improvement.  We sometimes get bored and say, "I am in a rut.  This is a waste of time and energy."  Feelings can fib.  I have found it so in running.

I have found it so in prayer practice too.  I need to do some prayer, meditation and good works or some combination of these on a daily basis.  I may feel bored, or judge that I am getting no better.  But in time I will see that worldly temptations, or the seven deadly sins, no longer seem to rule my life.  There will be temptation but it will not have the power it had in the past.  A new power is taking over.  This is spiritual fitness, not based upon feelings but upon action.  The Holy Spirit is the coach of the heart.  The coach is present, even if you don't feel the Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment