Thursday, July 12, 2012

Socrates and Jesus

Socrates and then Jesus liked to teach by posing a question to the inquirer.  It is called the Socratic method.  The Jesuits use it and I prefer it to being "told" answers.  I have the Catechism if I want to be told.  I use it to look up information.  But posing a question makes the listener ponder.  Jesus would often add a story or parable in bible speak.  The listener has to wrestle with the question to a conclusion.  With a question, you avoid resentment.  No one goes away hating your answer.  In the gospel, the rich young man walks away sad.  Maybe he will ponder as well in how to live his life.

For example, I could say, "Jesus Christ is risen from the dead."  It is a point of information, an article of faith for some, and nonsense for others.  No one changes their mind or opinion.  Now if I say, "Do you think Jesus is raised from the dead?"  Now we have a question to ponder.  From this I add, "I will tell you why I think that he is raised from the dead."  I give my story, or how I got to my conclusion.  They now have something to think about in relation to the question.  They have a personal response rather than simply me taking my lazy way out by saying, "It is a gift of faith."  It is, yes, but what made me accept the gift?  How did I wrestle with the question I posed?  If someone says, "I am now going to teach you," but then go on to give you information or answers, ask yourself if any of it changed you or your mind.  Many wannabe teachers are simply "tellers."  I know from experience.  It is easy to slip into the role.  Socrates and Jesus help get me back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment