Friday, July 13, 2012

Private Property

Did you know that in the bible the Jewish people did not keep property private?  Every few years land was supposed to revert back to original owners.  The sense was that the original owners got the land from God.  God owned all the land.  The early Church Fathers did not believe in private property either.  What was all this about?  My sense is that it was about the common good.  No one believed that we all were going to be living in some equal economic fashion.  There would be some people richer than others.  There was some attempt to level things out though.  If you had a lot because of luck, work ethic, or skill/intelligence, then you were supposed to take care that no one was going to be without.  No one was going to be destitute.  God had favored you with your wealth and now you use it to care for others.  Don't be spending it or hoarding it all for yourself.

If I can remember what a gift my life is, and the abundance of what I have is gift too, then I might be better able to share, to think about others who have less.  I'd be a good Jew!

No comments:

Post a Comment