Thursday, August 2, 2012

Beliefs Of The Heart

I am persuaded that when people get angry over some opinion or view or teaching, it is a matter of the heart.  Something personal in their lives has led them to agree or disagree one side or the other of an issue.  To speak logically to matters of the heart gets me nowhere.  A person may speak logically about their view, but if it is said with anger, it is from some personal experience.  Logic is the cover.

An example.  If I say that Jesus had only one will and not two, do you really care?  If you know the answer you may say that I am a heretic, but you would not bother to tell me.  You have no experience in your life that relates to the number of wills that Jesus has.  It brings up no strong emotion.  Maybe you even agree.  Heretic!  Now if I say something about my view on a sex issue, then I get the responses, and they come with the anger:  ".I am a heretic.  I should know better.  Why don't I just leave the church. You should be ashamed of yourself."  I won't get this about the two wills of Jesus.  I believe that people come to their conclusions about sex issues based upon something personal in their lives.  Saying, "This is what the church teaches," is just a cover.  The Church teaches the Seven Corporal Works of Mercy too.  But if you took the time to look them up, you will find that you probably don't do but two of them, if that.  Anyway, that is what I found out about the Works of Mercy for myself.  Jesus had a lot more to say about Mercy than he had to say about sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment