Monday, August 6, 2012

Objective Truth

I read where a church official said that to be orthodox, one must believe in certain "objective truths."  Now what might that be?  Is our Creed and objective truth?  I think not.  A tree is an objective truth.  How so?  If I say, "I see a tree.  Do you see the tree?"  If you say yes, that in fact there is a tree in front of us, then that is an objective truth.  We can even touch it to make sure that we are not imagining things.  

In the Creed, we say that Jesus is Risen.  Well, I believe this.  I say it is true.  But if you say it is not true, than is it really an "objective truth?"  It is subject to my experience and you may not have the same experience.  I began to believe in "Jesus is Risen" because nuns and my parents believed it and that was good enough for me.  Then I began to have some experience in my young life of Jesus being with me, so he must be risen and not in some grave in Jerusalem.  My belief was deepened by how the experience of a Risen Jesus changed the disciples.  They did not make it up in order to become rejected and martyred.  But many people thought they were delusional.  An experience of something numinous is not objective in the same way a tree is objective.  

I might say that my church is "holy" as it says in the creed.  This is based upon theology more than objective fact.  One outside of this theology would see my church as very sinful and anything but holy.  They have historical fact to support them.  My theology is subjective to my experience of the Holy Spirit.  Calling something objective when it is subjective is another way of trying to have power and control over others.

No comments:

Post a Comment