Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Train

One time, I was staring at unemployment.  I took the first job that came along.  I convinced myself it was right for me.  In fact it was more like being at a rail station and jumping on the first train that came along.  I would have no idea where it was going, nor much control about how it got there or when.  You would not do that would you?  I was driven by fear, as I recall.  It was a job that suited me not at all.  I lasted about fifteen months.  I thought about being a priest for a much longer time.  I spent five years in formal preparation and some years before that thinking about it.  I am still a priest, 36 years later.  Next time you think of jumping into something ask yourself if you are frightened about what might happen if you said no to the jumping in or on.  Do you feel like you are at a station waiting for any train to come along and take you away from your present life?  Remember, you go with yourself when you get on the train.  You never leave you behind.  Whenever I have had problems with my choice of priesthood, usually I find that I am much of the problem.  I try not to be a travelin' man.

1 comment:

  1. Terry. I have been a fan for a long time. We seem to think along a similar track. You are a little older, a lot wiser and I love hearing your personal stuff. I am now at the train station, big change, I have two trains coming, It is all about the journey and the time left to travel, no?
    But thanks for the guidance. Boulder D

    ReplyDelete