Friday, March 27, 2015

Birthdays

Tomorrow is my birthday.  It still is an important day to me because my Mom made it important.  We had a chocolate cake for me.  There were presents.  I blew out candles after the family sang Happy Birthday.  I thought it was this way for all families.  No it is not.  Many a priest had nothing much, so they do not know what they are missing.  Birthdays are no big deal to them.  I have endured many a normal rectory dinner on my birthday.  I think birthdays should be celebrated, or at least mine should, but I cannot celebrate with people who don't agree.  It is pointless.  I tried avoiding disappointment by staying away from non-birthday people on my birthday.  Avoid the office or rectory dinner.  But that was no good.  Now I am into acceptance that I live in a church world where many workers do not care all that much about birthdays.  They had sad upbringing, but don't know what they don't know.  Thank you Mom for raising the bar on birthdays.  We had a good run.  But I still keep hoping for that chocolate cake.

3 comments:

  1. It is my experience that we need to ask people for what we want. If they do not know birthdays, then we have to tell stories of happy birthdays and then follow with a request to have them join you in celebrating yours. You are giving the present of sharing joy.

    You are also allowed to ask for chocolate cake.

    Happy birthday Fr. Terry

    Just a thought - what about a group adventure making a chocolate cake? That could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Vero Beach for your Birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering where you will be on your birthday, I think you are covered , Father.

    ReplyDelete