Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Mario Cuomo

Cuomo was Governor of New York and died recently.  He was a Catholic brought up in the old school and had this to say, "God did not intend this world only as a test of our purity, but rather as an expression of his love."  I think many of us see religion as assisting us to avoid evil temptations, avoid sin, stay pure, if you will.  I remember that church.  We tried to change that focus in the  second half of the twentieth century to reflect a more activist role that reveals God as Love.  Do good for others who are in need, rather than merely try to avoid "Mortal Sin."  I think this is one reason that confession dropped off for quite a while.  I see confession coming back among the young.  They are focused on avoiding sin, staying pure so they can go to communion.  Not much interest in solving social problems.  Pope Francis seems to be emphasizing the social justice aspect and paying less attention to individual weaknesses of the flesh.

1 comment:

  1. The last time I went to confession the priest told me to pray for a miracle. I will try to be more caring but my shrink said that I better start caring more for myself. Giving self away. Got to get balanced.

    ReplyDelete