Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Deposit Slips

I walked into a branch of my bank in Vero Beach, Florida.  It is a branch where the rich people live.  Fresh coffee awaited me.  But I saw no deposit slips.  "You don't need those anymore," said one of the tellers.  Just swipe your debit/credit card and hand over the deposit.  It seemed like too much change for me at this moment.  I asked for deposit slips.  I filled them out, added up the deposit and signed the back of each check.  Then I thought, "I have to grow up into this ever changing world of finance."  So I followed directions and did the deposit the new way.  I found out two things.  One, I can overcome fear and change.  Two, this new way saved me no time whatsoever.  I had to approve the total deposit.  How could I do that if I did not first add up the checks to be deposited?  I had to sign the checks on the back just like before.  Actually, I learned a third thing.  This new way saved the teller some work.  You mean the bank does not have me as their first priority?  Now that is scary and needs to change.  Banks don't seem to want to change unless it suits them and their bottom line.  They want their customers to change.

2 comments:

  1. When I first started having a checking account, at the end of the month I'd get a statement and little pile of the checks I'd written back in the mail. I filed these away and used them at tax time. I liked them. Then a few years ago (maybe 10 or so?) the bank started charging me to get my checks back, but would give me a statement with little pictures of my checks for free. I kept getting my checks, until the option was no longer offered. Now the bank charges me to get the statement with the little pictures. Progress doesn't seem to move in my favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Progress" is always in banks favor.

    ReplyDelete