Sunday, March 15, 2015

Talk But Don't Walk

I go to learned people to get answers, such as legal people to get rules and regulations.  But I would never go to these same people for advice about spiritual growth.  I go to people who practice the interior life if I want to know something about prayer.  Why do we complain when someone can talk the talk but not walk the walk?  The talk gives information.  We need information from time to time.  But I do not expect someone to live a certain way simply because they know an answer.  One clergy person has info and another has insight and lives walks that talk.  Value each person for their gifts.  Do you expect one store to have everything you want to buy?  Do you expect gifted athletes to be role models of decorum and wisdom?  In my church, just because some priest is a genius in canon law does not mean that he will be a good and loving person.  I simply use him for canon law issues.  I don't go to the grocery store to buy a car.  Walmart is trying to be everything for everyone, but we are not walmarts.  Don't ask me a canon law question.  I am clueless and too dense to understand all that stuff.  I don't know that I would see people as hypocrites.  Rather, most people are more advanced in one area than in another.

No comments:

Post a Comment