Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Fish

In snorkeling I realized that the ocean current is very strong. Even with flippers, I could not swim against the current and waves. I watched the little fish. They would face the shore and go with the wave. When a wave was coming into the shore, the fish would let itself be pulled along. It took no effort so long as the fish let the current carry it. So I did the same thing and rode the current to shore or out into deeper water.

There are powerful forces in the world and in the spiritual life that seem too much for me. I cannot seem to go in the direction that I want. As St. Paul says, "I do what I don't want to do." Temptations are powerful forces. So I try to put myself into God's hand and let God move me along as God chooses. It takes less effort to pray than to fight these powerful forces within or outside of me. Prayer may seem trying at times, but prayer makes the rest of the day flow much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment