Thursday, October 6, 2011

Swimming

My father was a very good swimmer. He glided through the water. It seemed effortless. He grew up swimming in the East River and the ocean. He did not swim in chemically filled swimming pools. Dad tried to teach me to swim. I could stay afloat and move forward slowly with great effort. I cannot swim like my Dad to this day. But I can still enjoy the water as long as I accept my limitations. I do not have to give up swimming or playing in the water. I enjoy riding the waves. I do not much care for the clorine of swimming pools. I do like to "run" in the deep end. So I do not let my limitations close me off from enjoying water. None of us are perfect or all things. Yet we need not narrow our lives because of our limitation. Plunge into life with who you are. Don't compare or contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment