Friday, October 14, 2011

Fundamentalism

I am somewhat bemused by big fundamental churches founded by some individual who thinks everybody else had it wrong until he or she came along. They think that they are focused upon the message. Little by little, if not very soon, they get stuck in their success. They build huge church campuses, fill their buildings with people and bring in lots of money. Some years later, I run into not so young people who "used to go" to that church.

What happened? It seems they outgrew it all, or rather, all the pomp and display did not reach deep enough into their hearts. They found themselves part of a success story, but hungering for something not there. The mega-church was supposed to be a means to an end. It got stuck building up and defending the means. Gee, aren't we glad that the Catholic hierarchy isn't like that?

All these youth day people chasing after the pope in Spain this past summer, I wonder where they will be in about ten years? I had better check myself! People say that they love my preaching. Is my preaching really a road that Grace moves on between the Divine and the soul? Or am I just entertaining people with stories? Humm! The road to purgatory is often paved by the ego's idea of "a good deed!"

4 comments:

  1. "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven" matthew 5:16

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation, your homilies don't do much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't Jesus teach with stories?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but his stories pointed to the Kingdom of God, not toward himself.

    ReplyDelete