Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Options


I am doing my laundry now.  Yes, a guru like me has to do his laundry.  An outrage, I know.  But it has to be done once a week.  There are some things I have to do every day just like any other human being.  These are daily, weekly cycles that keep life in balance.  Why is prayer not part of this cycle?  When did it become optional, like going to a play or planting some flowers?  We feed and clean our bodies on a regular basis.  Does not the soul need to be fed and cleansed on a daily basis?  The stomach complains louder and sooner than the soul, that it needs/wants feeding.  The darkness likes it when our spiritual lives become paying attention to the squeaky wheel.  By the time the ignored soul complains, the whole wagon has fallen apart.  I find that if I feed the soul before the body, my day seems to go better or at least I can deal better with the unexpected stuff that pops up.

1 comment:

  1. The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between her work and her play, her labor and her leisure, her mind and her body, her education and her recreation, her love and her religion. She simply pursues her vision of excellence in whatever she does, leaving others to decide whether she is working or playing.
    To her she is always doing both.

    ---Zen Buddhist text

    ReplyDelete