Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Routine

Routines can help or hurt us.  How will we know which it is?  Love.  Are you a more loving person with your routines?  If you snap, "Leave me alone, I have to do my prayers/spiritual reading/meditation," then I suspect this is a routine that needs a change. A good routine makes us more loving, kind and compassionate.  Many people go to church frequently, but their demeanor does not seem to improve.  Jesus says that in the time of Noah, just before the flood, people were into their routines of eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage.  At the time of Lot, just before the destruction of Sodom, people were buying, selling, planting, building, eating and drinking.  Everyone was into their routines except Noah and Lot.  They were open to listening to God and to dropping their routines.  Lot's wife tried, but then she looked back.  She missed her "stuff."  Moving is an example of letting go.  You get rid of stuff.  Old stuff keeps us in routines.  God may have plans outside our routines.  Try something new.  It might awaken you.  If it does not make you a better person, you can always return to your routines.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit distressed - the routines of every day stuff are "bad"? Aren't those the stuff that helps us to raise our families and pay our bills and have enough to share with our church and community. I guess I need to go back and read the story of Noah again. I didn't realize that marriage was a problem.

    ReplyDelete