Sunday, September 22, 2013

Civilization of Love

An American Catholic Cardinal says that we need to build a civilization of love.  Well, why does he not start with giving communion to believers who want it, and not worry about rules which say "no communion" for various situations including being baptized but not being Catholic, or being remarried without an annulment?  Lots of people want more love in the world, but what they usually mean is they want someone else to be more loving.  Rules of exclusion generally do not promote love.  I don't know Jesus all that well, but I wonder if he really would care all that much about whose tongue receives him.  Now he was a person who was all about love.  Seems some of the religious officials did not much care for him.

4 comments:

  1. Did not Jesus give us the two great commandments? How did His church come up with so many rules and regulations that are not meant to bring us closer to God but to keep us under the church's control?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we became monarchs instead of servants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember not being allowed to take communion at my own brother's Catholic wedding, even though as a Christian I wanted it so badly.

    I have since become Catholic but I remember the painful sting of embarrassment at having to stay in my seat while everyone else went up.

    Sure, I get that Protestants are not permitted to participate because they don't know about the act of consecration (and I received quite the lecture on that from some in attendance) but wouldn't the church attract more members if we truly invited others to share in the experience of this sacred moment?

    I KNOW that if Jesus had been at that wedding, he would not have turned me away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! um ok.... I thought the Catholic Church set all these rules for the salvation of souls, no? Is not the caring for a souls salvation the highest of LOVE? Isn't that why parents that love there children set rules in order to keep their children safe, isn't this because they love them? Jesus gave us many rules in order to guard our souls, He speaks of hell 3 times more then heaven, Because Jesus loved us so much he constantly warned us about hell.
    I thought the Church teaches that the Eucharist can be damaging for your salvation if taken in a state of mortal sin, more harm then good, is this not correct for the church to teach? Are they just doing it to be mean? or are they entrusted with the safe guard of their flocks souls?
    Father, I don't understand what your trying to teach us here? Are we not to believe in what the Catholic Church teaches?

    ReplyDelete